Monday, July 16, 2012

Picking Headstones {Sucks}

It's me and the daughter dumb enough not to escape, home all day...Said daughter is still sleeping and I have spent the morning sewing, perusing pinterest and contemplating the energy needed to get out of my pajamas...I love quiet, lazy, summer days.

Then I got a message from my Sister (the smart, organized, together one) that made me think climbing back into bed, with my pj's on might be a great way to spend the rest of the day.....

Kel's Message:

I have made an appointment for Friday with American Monument to begin the process of designing Dad's headstone. I thought we probably wanted to have it in before winter. Please tell me what you have in mind/thoughts so we can give her an idea of what we want. I told them we likely wanted something custom revolving around music (drum kit possibly). I was thinking that since his plot is surrounded by other upright headstones maybe that might be the way to go.


Oh yeah the headstone...sometimes being an adult kinda sucks....I'm glad Kelli's so on the ball and that we have always (well, as adults) shared a great relationship. We have been able to work together through some pretty challenging times.And Have always remained sisters but more importantly friends. So grateful we can make decisions together......

It's not that I can't take life seriously...It's just that I'd rather laugh than cry or at least laugh and cry at the same time. So this is the message I sent her back...

My Message:

I was actually thinking a life size sculpture of Dad behind his drum kit that has a motion sensor that plays Summertime, every time someone walks by it. That's totally doable right??? {I'm totally kidding, sorry I couldn't stop myself}


 your thinking is totally in line with mine....Drum kit for sure...upright makes sense...some quote or something about music and teaching...proofs are fine I hate Skype...but honestly I totally trust your judgement....full name and full birth and death dates....


In poor taste maybe, but my Dad would want us to laugh...

It was a little creepy, when I followed the link Kelli sent me, for the Memorial Monument company and I realize all the markers pictured had my name on them. (pin point marketing gone a little too far). Kay, I'm in my late thirties and have no intention of dying anytime soon... I really don't want to see Kramer on a headstone unless I'm doing my Family history (which I of course I am doing as soon as I finish this post, no really I am?!? ;))

Headstones are hard (no pun intended). Its the last decision we make for dad in this life. A monument to his legacy...a life not forgotten. A reminder of how fresh this still is and how much I just miss him.

Laughing is great and crying is okay too.


****Kel's Respose and why I love her.....

perfect

  • Oh and very funny-almost peed my pants (thanks for making that possible). Dad would love anything motion sensor and or loud because it would scare the crap out of people expecting a serene cemetery experience :). Setting up a hidden video camera would be especially fun.
  • 0 comments:

    Post a Comment