Wednesday, February 2, 2011

Groundhog Day...I love you too.

Happy Groundhog Day Y'all!!! From the sound of it we are in for an early spring...Oh Happy Day...I need some vitamin D. :)


But Groundhog day makes me think of the movie and not the over-grown squirrel...The Bill Murray classic came out the year Grant and I got married....and it makes me laugh every time I see it.


"Do you ever have déjà vu, Mrs. Lancaster? I don’t think so, but I could check with the kitchen."



"This is one time where television really fails to capture the true excitement of a large squirrel predicting the weather."




"Well maybe the *real* God uses tricks, you know? Maybe he’s not omnipotent. He’s just been around so long he knows everything."
Who knew years later this movie would be the best way I can describe the relationship I now have with my aging father. Dad calls us two or three times on his good days and sometimes more than a dozen on his bad. He rarely remembers the previous conversations of the day. His call is never more than 2 minutes long and always includes these questions/statements in this order.
How are you?
How are the Kids?
IS Grant still working for W.M.?
How is the weather?
I'll call you Wednesday or Sunday?(the days he phoned us as kids) but always phones us within hours.
At this point I say "I love you Dad" to which he responses "I. Love. You. Too."
Sometimes he'll run through the questions (same order) two or three times in the same conversation. If I try to ask other questions he instantly says "I'll call you Wednesday of Sunday" and ends our conversation.
There are days when I feel deep sadness for my Dad and pray for ways I can break through the fog and reach him. Then there are other days when the constant calls irritate and make me angry (I know I shouldn't feel that way, but its true) Why can't he remember!! Some days I find it funny especially when I have responded "yes, Canadians celebrate Valentines Day or St. Patricks Day or Easter" for the 3rd or 4th time.
When my Superman sees that my sadness or frustration with my Dad has reached a boiling point, he'll often look at me and say
"GROUNDHOG DAY!!??"....
Which instantly brings a smile to my face as I nod my my head. Yes honey I feel like I'm stuck in the movie....
I do take great comfort in the fact that I have so many opportunities to tell my Dad I love him and that I know with certainty that he LOVES. ME. TOO.

0 comments:

Post a Comment