Monday, May 30, 2011

A Pasta, See :)

Between Woman's Conference, meeting with our very much loved Stake president, and Grant being released from one bishopric and called to another Saturday and Sunday were a spiritual whirlwind. I think I have a new appreciation for the phase "my cup runneth over". My heart is full of love and gratitude. Our family has truly been richly blessed....

Pres VH among many other things encouraged us as a family to focus on family prayer, family scripture study and family home evening......family prayer we don't do too bad at but we realize that there is great room for improvement in the scripture study and FHE department. So Grant we decided to focus on FHE for this next month. Baby steps, my superman, baby steps...

So it is announced well in advance that we need 30 minutes of the rug rats time for FHE this evening, slated time 8:30 pm......Despite the standard eye-roll they all seem to agree. When Grant announces that everybody needs to come to the living room, it takes several minutes to track down our suddenly evasive offspring. Once they are all in the same room Grant had to remind the kids to keep their hands to their selves and  me to stop laughing, apparently I was not helping. It was my Superman's turn for the lesson....

He started by saying " Now remember what Pres VH said yesterday about strengthening our family through prayer, scripture study and FHE...to which Holly sarcastically interrupted "pretty sure he said that the last time too,  Dad" Gotta love teenager. So I can't stop laughing, Grant frustrated, turns to me and says " We haven't had an argument since Sunday Robin and I'd like to keep it that way..." to which Dallyn says "Dad you realize that was yesterday, right?"

So Grant starts again by asking if anybody can tell him what the word "apostasy" means [Apostasy is turning away from the Church and ultimately denying the faith] Holly gives a pretty close definition. The kids ask several good questions and other than asking Dallyn to remove the plastic hanger he now has stuck on his neck head. Things are going good. (by good I mean they are all still in the room). Alex keeps asking if she can share something funny to which Grant keeps saying NO. We ended with family prayer. After,  Alex asks if she can now share, to which Grant says "fine"

Alex with all the dramatics a twelve year old girl can muster says....

Dad, I want to make pasta tomorrow night.....So I can say... A PASTA {dramatic pause} SEE????  Okay so one of them wasn't really listening. But we are trying, right???

Even if they remember nothing, the fact that we can laugh together,  it is all worth it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment