Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Care Center Carols

I walked into a nursing home tonight ....the first time since  my final good byes with my Dad, 7 months ago...I hadn't really donned on me until I hit the front entrance, which is a good thing or I probably would not have even gone...Our Relief Society Christmas activity was singing at a local seniors care center... 

It was overwhelming at first, the sounds, the smells, the faces...I fought back tears and the urge to run. Such difficult memories, both parents lives ended in such facilities....Add the Christmas carols my parents loved and...I knew Christmas time would be hard this year, but I was even surprised at my early wave of emotion...Who the heck cries at Frosty the Snowman?!? (I remember my Dad playing that for us on the guitar)

But then I started noticing something...

A woman named Jodi (activity director, I'm guessing) who welcomed us to the facility and showed us into the room where the seniors were waiting...

For the entire hour, Jodi was so tender, so kind as she floated around the room singing along to our caroles and graciously adjusting a blanket, wiping a chin, hugging a shoulder, grabbing a tissue or exchanging a smile with each resident...This wasn't just a job for her but something she deeply, deeply loved, you could just tell. It wasn't for show, it was just who she was. She loved those residents and they loved her..My heart was so touched, it brings tears even as I type...

Maybe, it's that I carry a burden of guilt, that we could not care for our parents ourselves . Even though I know putting them in care was our only option, its still a choice I wish we never had to make...I'm sure most families feel that way...

So tonight I think I was so touched by Jodi's sincere and selfless actions because I was reminded that although my parents' care was not a choice I wanted, there were still loving people who tenderly watched over and cared for them, when I couldn't... Something I hadn't appreciated before.

Tonight was a beautiful reminder that we have a loving Heavenly Father who tenderly watches over us but meets our needs through those around us.

Thank you Jodi and all the "Jodi's" out there who lovingly adjust a blanket, wipe a tear, bring a smile....  Its really what Christmas is all about, isn't it?

 ....Inasmuch as ye have done it unto one of the least of these my brethren, ye have done it unto me.

Matthew 25:40

I miss my Mom and Dad. This Christmas time will bring very tender feelings but, I am grateful for this time to reflect on how loved and blessed we Krazy Kramers are.

1 comment: