Thursday, January 27, 2011

Bread & Basketball

Yesterday after Holly informed me that she has always hated my cornbread, the classic staple with homemade chili (I told you my kids keep me humble). I asked the girls to find something different...
This is what Bailey made, a french bread recipe from my favorite recipe site:
http://mennonitegirlscancook.blogspot.com/

I have used it before for pizza crust and ham & cheese roll ups and it always works great... As french bread it was AWESOME!!!

Aren't they PRETTY?
FRENCH BREAD
2 Tbsp sugar
2 Tbsp cooking oil
2 tsp salt
2 cups hot tap water
4 1/2 - 5 cups flour
2 Tbsp instant yeast

Mix in order given, mixing the yeast with a little flour and adding that while dough is still very soft. Add enough flour to make a dough that holds together in a ball shape and is not sticky if you handle it with floured hands. Cover.Let rise until double, about 1/2 hour. Divide in half.

Roll out to about 12x15” rectangle. Roll up jelly roll style and place on greased or parchment paper lined cookie sheet. Cut diagonal slits on top. Let rise about 30 - 45 min. Brush with mixture of 1 egg and 2 Tbsp milk, beaten with fork.Bake at 400F for 20 min, or until golden.

The Money Shot.....yummmmmm!

This was Bailey's first attempt at bread making and she did fantastic!!! Super quick, great tasting bread...I don't think I'll ever by french bread again.

In the midst of the flour flying, Alex came home from her basketball tournament and announced they WON!

Way to go Alex!!! and Bailey!!




Gotta love the knee highs!!




0 comments:

Post a Comment